OUR WORK HERE
Kirkgate Market, in the centre of Leeds, is a Grade I listed Victorian gem and the largest covered market in Europe, attracting over 100,000 visitors every week.
Stone Edge was contracted to carry out the sensitive strip out and investigation of the 1875 ‘Blockshops’. These had been modified in an ad-hoc fashion by successive tenants with no record made of the adaptations. The council was concerned that the stability of the structures had been compromised.
The work was carried out at night, with the market remaining open during the day. During the course of the work, our careful operations revealed fascinating original features such as timber roller shutters and Victorian hand-painted signage.
- Birdcage scaffolding for access to roofs while maintaining public walkways below
- Careful removal of modern fascias and fittings
- Location and isolation of electrical fittings
- Removal of asbestos
- Monitoring of gable end using tilt meters
- Test pits for assessment of foundations
- Reporting of findings
Leeds City Council
Leeds, West Yorkshire