OUR WORK HERE
St Margaret’s Church was closed in 2012, when it was declared unsafe, due to destructive salts in the lime mortar used in 19th century works. Removal of the dangerously unstable spire followed, which allowed the church to be reopened, but left it looking rather sad.
Stone Edge was selected to carry out the careful dismantling of a further stage of the tower, then reconstruction of the tower and spire along with extensive stonework repairs.
- Dismantle remains of tower
- Rebuild spire, with Ancaster Weatherbed outer leaf and brickwork inner leaf
- Carving of replacement stone tracery
- Restoration of clock
- Masonry repairs
- Structural stabilisation using Cintec anchors
- Window repairs and glazing renovation
- Installation of new internal access ladders
- Electrical installation
- New path and steps