OUR WORK HERE
Whalley Abbey was founded in 1296 by Cistercian monks. Its gatehouse was used as a place to dispense alms, and to give food and drink to the poor. The narrow lane it spans was once the main route through the Ribble valley, now a quiet byway.
Stone Edge was contracted to rebuild the west wall in front of the gatehouse. A sensitive conservation approach was required. Every stone needed to be individually numbered for reinstatement in its original position. A plan was produced of the wall, with each stone identified individually. The numbers were transferred on to the stones themselves as the wall was taken down, and the stones carefully stored in order for rebuilding.
The vast majority of stone was reused. Some replacements needed to be made, due to excessive weathering of the originals
- Fully recording existing condition of wall
- Numbering of every individual stone
- Dismantling of wall
- Rebuilding of wall
Diocese of Blackburn
Ivan Wilson Associates